Friday, November 25, 2011

I KNOW WHO YOU WORK FOR, BUT WHO DO YOU WORK FOR

This story was sent to me by a close friend and ex-coworker. I thought it was worth passing along.

The best close I ever saw:

I admit I am one of those guys who abhor buying a car.  I don’t like the constant negotiation and the feeling that no matter what I pay, I paid too much.  But when I was asked to go with a friend to look at a car he was planning to buy, I figured what the heck and went along for the ride.  Now the guy I was going with is a successful business manager who came into management through sales.  He loves the process and as I would come to learn his negotiation skills are among the elite.

As we got to the dealership we were armed with 2 pieces of information.  We knew how much the “Blue Book” was on his truck for a trade in and we knew how bad he did, or didn’t want the vehicle.  In fact, he was there to buy two vehicles as his daughter is nearing that magical driving age of 16.  He had already spotted the vehicles he was there to talk about and on his arrival, I think I heard a faint bell go off and an announcer barking “Let the negotiations begin!”

They went back and forth several times with my friend sticking to his guns in regard to his “Out the door price”.  He mentioned the money they would be saving in that one of the vehicles just came in today, so they would turn the inventory in a hurry.  He noted the number of similar trucks they had on the lot costing them cash every day and he mentioned that he was making a luxury buy, not a necessity buy, so “you gotta move my way.”

But the close of all closes wasn’t the one the salesman used on my friend, but rather the one my friend used on the salesman.  As negotiations were on their 4th turn and an impasse loomed on the near horizon my friend made one “last” explanation and gave his salesman an offer.  The salesman, who had been solid said “I’ll take it to the manager again, would you like me to ask him to come talk to you?”  I think he was under the impression that my friend wanted to deal with the highest level he could.  I will admit without hesitation I would have said “Yep, trot him on out here.” But my friend went in for the killer close. “Why would I do that?  I am paying you a commission to take care of me.  I want you to fight for me, to help me get that truck I want and the SUV my daughter wants.  If I wanted to do that, what do I need you for?  Get in there and fight for me man, THAT’S what I am paying you commission for!”  I noticed a visible change in the salesman’s face and attitude and off he went to fight for my friend. 

The outcome isn’t the important part of the story.  The close was how my friend motivated someone he had just met to go “argue my side and tell my story”  If he sold the cars or not doesn’t change the fact that he was sold on his role as the agent for my friend. 

Selling isn’t just for salesmen, selling is a process by which people are motivated to make decisions and execute behaviors which benefit everyone involved.  Never miss a chance to sell, good things happen when things get sold.

Oh, he got both vehicles and paid at least $3,000 less than I would have paid.

Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment