Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Where am I?

When was the last time you stopped for a minute and asked yourself the question, "Where am I"?


Today more than ever before we are rushed. Moving from place to place at the speed of...traffic... we tend to be doing more as reaction rather than plan.

At some point we all need to stop and ask ourselves these questions;

Is my career on track? Am I growing personally like I want to? What are my goals and where am I in relation to them? Am I happy? If your answers to these questions are all "yes", continue on knowing that all is well in your part of the universe. If by some chance you answered "no" to one or more of these questions then you need to make some changes.

Take note of where you currently are and think about where you want to be. How far apart are you? You may only need to make minor adjustments or it may be a major change of direction. Either way, put pen to paper. Make a list of what you can do immediately to start your changes. Then make a list of all the things you can do in the near future and finally write down the long term changes you need to make.

I often talk about the Titanic in my presentations. We all know the story (the movie and Leonardo DeCaprio gave us the whole story over and over again) but let’s look at the facts. The Titanic hit the iceberg while it was attempting to turn to avoid the collision. This in fact ends up to be the main reason the ship sinks, rather than just crushing the bow of the ship and flooding a few of the floatation chambers, the iceberg rips the side of the ship flooding too many of the chambers to keep the ship afloat. OK, enough background, let's get to my point. How much more did the ship need to turn to miss the iceberg? It didn't need to turn around 180 degrees, and go in the other direction. That would be a major change that would take a long time to accomplish. (In relative terms) Nope, the fact is only 2 more degrees would have saved the ship, the 1100 passengers, and the 2 hours each of us spent watching the movie ("I'll always remember you Jack")

SO, now you are asking "What does all this ship talk have to do with where I am"? Simple.

SMALL CHANGES IN INPUT CAN MAKE BIG DIFFERENCES IN OUTCOME!

Two small degrees made the difference on the Titanic. Think of how some small changes can make a difference in your career. For some it may just be the start of a complete turnaround, for others it may be all that is needed to turn the answer to the above questions from "NO" to "YES". Either way, you have asked the right questions, you have made an action plan, and you have started to make the necessary adjustments.

Next time you ask yourself, “Where am I”? You will have the GPS coordinates.

No comments:

Post a Comment