Tuesday, September 14, 2010

MOVE FROM IMPORTANT TO SIGNIFICANT


im·por·tant
            1. Especially relevant or of great concern; valued highly
2. Having or suggesting a consciousness of high position or authority

sig·nif·i·cant
1.     Having or expressing a meaning, meaningful
2.       Having or likely to have a major effect
Yesterday I was at a meeting and the speaker made the statement, “Make the move from IMPORTANT to SIGNIFICANT”. As soon as I heard it, I knew that it was going to be the topic of today’s blog. The problem was I didn’t know how or why.
I thought, aren’t important and significant the same? In my head they were. Then I started to think, if they are the same then why did this statement, “Make the move from IMPORTANT to SIGNIFICANT”, hit me the way it did?
I did a cut and paste of the definitions of the two words at the top of this blog. I immediately saw that the definitions were different, but were the meanings different? I read the definitions over and over again, and then they started to move apart and the differences in the two words became clear. What was even more meaningful is that the meaning of the speaker’s statement became very clear.
Most sales reps (as well as most people) work very hard to become IMPORTANT. Reps want to be important to their customers. They want the customer to see them as relevant and to be highly valued. Reps want to be in a position of authority and to be viewed as the expert.
However the TOP SALES REPS (as well as the top people in the society) have taken it to the next step and that is to become SIGNIFICANT to their customers. This select group of reps (and people) have become meaningful to their customers and have a major effect on the customer and the customers business.
Let me explain this in an overly simple way that I think everyone will understand. If I supply a product or service to the customer that does a good job for them, I am IMPORTANT to the customer. If I supply a product or service that allows the customer to run their business better and help them grow their business, I become SIGNIFICANT.
Important is being a part of the business and can usually be replaced without too much trouble, significant is driving the business and becomes integral to the business.
OK, so where is this going?
Very often, a sales rep will feel good about being important to a customer. They work so hard to reach this place of distinction and then they start to coast and enjoy title of important. The reps that keep building the relationship, the reps that continue past important and become significant to their customers, then become significant to their employers. This doesn’t mean that anyone is indispensable; it means that the company views this rep as meaningful and that the rep has a major effect on the company.
To all the important people reading this blog, start moving past where you are and looking for the opportunities to build your relationships through your products, services, or expertise.
To all the significant people reading this blog (and everyone who reads this blog are significant to me) continue to bring value to your customers and never get complacent about your relationships. Don’t allow an important competitor to become a significant supplier because of you got lazy!
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment