Wednesday, September 29, 2010

THE WORD OF THE DAY “PASSION”

I was recently on a phone call and the person I was talking with stopped me in mid sentence and told me that I used the word of the day. As you can imagine, after about 90 minutes of talking I had used a lot of words and was a little confused which one was the word of the day. She said PASSION.
I asked her what I won! She simply said most likely the sale. She continued, the owner of the company she worked for used the word passion as his word of the day every day. He was passionate about passion. She said that everyone who worked for the company got one week a year “PASSION” pay, a week’s pay to go and be a part of some volunteer work without having to use your vacation time. Passion was one of the company’s pillars and it is one of the main differentiators they use for all aspects of running the business.
All I could think of was that here is a business owner who really puts their money where their heart is. Then I thought about the company I was dealing with. Everyone I know there is extremely happy with their job. The company is an industry leader. I personally know several people who have climbed up the ladder with the company and are now executives. The most amazing thing is that as I thought about the people working for the company, everyone was passionate about their job, and doing the right thing for the customer, and the company.
As usual, I am asking you to evaluate yourself and ask yourself, “Am I passionate about what I do every day?”
Did you know you can see and hear passion? Sure you did. We have all talked to someone who was passionate about something. Maybe it was their job, or their product, maybe it was their faith or their family. It doesn’t matter what it was, when we were finished talking to them we knew this person had passion.
Passion is what separates wealthy people from happy people. I know a few people who have tons of money, but because they are not passionate about what they do or what they have they are not happy. I also know people who struggle every month to make ends meet, but are so passionate about what they have or what they do that the struggle is easily ignored.
As sales reps if we have passion for selling the customer will see and hear it. Everything we do will be impacted by that passion and we will have more credibility then we have ever had. No one will miss the commitment that passion brings with it, and so many of the things that would be blockers to success become nothing more than small detours to our goal of success.
We all need to be more like the owner of the company and make PASSION our word of the day, every day.
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment