Wednesday, August 3, 2011

DON'T SHOW ME THE MONEY

This month, the headline title of TRAINING MAGAZINE is “WHY CASH DOESN’T MOTIVATE…Everyone, all the time”
When I received my copy today this headline caught my eye and I had to read the article immediately, I was not disappointed.
The article quotes many studies from some very large sources that asked employees what motivates them. In all the studies money was never listed as number one. There were an assortment of things that lead the lists such as recognition, reputation, job satisfaction, advancement, and fulfillment to name a few.
One other answer that really made me think was, time to enjoy money. When I read this I had to stop and absorb what it said. Money wasn’t the motivator, time to enjoy the money we make is. After a few enlightening minutes I had to agree with this one 100%.
Both my daughters are grown up and out of school now, but when they were in school I made it my business to be there as much as I could. I was on all their field trips in Elementary School, and starting in Middle School all through High School I chaperoned every trip and football game. I would use one of my weeks of vacation every year to chaperone… are you ready… BAND CAMP.
I can honestly say that if my employer offered me more money to stop going on the trips I would have turned it down. There isn’t enough money in the world to replace the wonderful times I spent with not just my children, but all the children over the many years.
Don’t misunderstand me, I love what money can buy and I want to have plenty of it, but like Training Magazine states, CASH DOESN’T MOTIVATE... everyone all the time. I have always been a believer in the fact that if you give cash to motivate, once it is spent the enjoyment is gone and the motivation is gone along with it, in fact sometimes it is a de-motivator. When the money is spent the enjoyment wasn’t what was expected and people get depressed.
Next time you are asked what motivates you take a minute and think about it before you answer. You may be surprised.
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment