Friday, February 17, 2012

TRAINING IS FOREVER

A close friend and ex training partner of mine called me the other day. I wasn’t able to take the call but his message was awesome and a message that I will keep in my phone as long as I can.
He told me he was at a small trade show in Florida working the booth for his company. A gentleman walked up to his booth and as the two of them saw each other the gentleman said, don’t I know you? They stood there looking at each other thinking about where they knew each other from until the gentleman said, I got it, didn’t you used to train with Lorin?
My friend told him that we trained together for four years and the guy said he was in one of the training classes we taught. As they spoke the gentleman told my friend that he still used all the techniques and skills that we taught him all those years ago today with his company.
As I listened to the message I really felt good. As I thought about the message afterwards I really felt great. As I am passing on this story I am feeling awesome.
Sales Trainers all have one common thought that we share, is what we are teaching really making a difference? We teach a lot of different methodologies and for the most part they are all valid and useful. We teach in a lot of different ways and once again most are valid and useful. But the real test of our effectiveness is what the reps we teach do with the information and how long the information remains valid to the reps we teach.
Hearing this rep say that information we taught him almost a decade ago is still not only still useful but still being used every day is as close to an award as a sales trainer will usually get.
I believe it is impossible to ever have too much training or education. Information and skills can never be taken away from you once you have them. By using the skills you have and constantly gathering more and more information you will continue to improve over time. The better you get the more valuable you become to your employer, your customer and yourself.
To all the people I have trained during my long and wonderful career as a Corporate Trainer, Thank you! You are why I do it.
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment