Monday, August 12, 2013

HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT


Customers come in all sizes and shapes. They come in all levels of intelligence. They come in all socio-economic groups. But the most important group they all come in are the talkers and the silent ones.

I was out in the field with a rep last week and we made a call on business that he told me he has been wanting to call on for a year. I said let’s go.

When we walked in there were a few guys standing around a workbench looking at a motor and talking about what was wrong with it. We asked who was the boss and were told to go to an office in the back of the shop. Before we walked away we watched the guys and listened to what they were saying. The rep and I looked at each other because we knew we had several items with us that these guys could have used. We decided to go see the boss and tell him.

We walked to the back of the shop and met the boss. He was a man of few words, VERY FEW. The rep introduced us and started to tell the boss about whom we were and what it was we were there for. The boss didn’t say a word. The rep told him about our company, the boss didn’t say a word. The rep told him about what we had, the boss didn’t say a word. The rep pulled out one of our most popular products and did a great demo for the boss, he still didn’t say a word, he just looked at us.

The rep tried a few things to engage the boss but the boss just kept looking without saying a word.

The rep finally said that he would be back in 2 weeks and we left.

When we got into the car the rep asked me what else he could have done, I told him nothing. I explained that there is no harder customer to sell than the one who tells you nothing. I said to the rep that he would appreciate objections from now on.

I told him that an objection is the second best thing a customer can give you. A sale is the best, but an objection gives you something to work with. It doesn’t matter what the objection is, any objection gives you information. Silence gives you NOTHING!

Over the years I have found one thing that a rep can do when they are with a silent customer. ASSUME THE SALE! When I am doing demos and trying to close I simply assume the customer wants what I have. I say, “I’ll go ahead and send in xxxx”, it doesn’t matter how silent the customer is, if they don’t want it they will talk! Drastic situations call for drastic measures.

Just because the customer is silent doesn’t mean you need to be.

Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment