Thursday, August 1, 2013

IS IT ME YOU’RE LOOKING FOR?


I didn’t invent the internet, that was Al Gore. I didn’t start Rock and Roll, that was Elvis. I didn’t invent the “GIBBS SLAP”, that was Leroy Jethro Gibbs aka Mark Harmon. I didn’t invent sales, I have just enjoyed it for the past 40 years.

What I did do is start this blog 8/18/10, almost 3 years ago. Over the past 3 years I have made over 400 posts (none for the past 7 months).

Well I am happy to say, I’M BAAAAACK”.

I wish I had a good reason for not posting since last December, but the truth is I have been focusing my attention on settling in to my new position. It has been a wild 7 months but some of the most rewarding I have had in all my years as a sales rep and sales trainer.

I have had to remember things that I hadn’t thought of for years. It was exciting to once again be challenged to learn while I was teaching. I had to be as open to new ideas as I was to helping others accept new ideas. I was in a position of being new, while being the expert.

This entire time I have been making notes and planning this blogging comeback. I have been outlining posts that I felt would be as useful to everyone reading this blog as they were to me while I lived them.

To say I am excited is an understatement. ELECTRIFIED, ENERGIZED, SUPERCHARGED, MOTIVATED, and plain HAPPY are all the feelings I have about where I have been and what I have done over the past 7 months.

I am going to be doing what I have always tried to do here, have fun while telling stories that will help sales reps of all tenure and all industries. At the same time I will be as motivating as I can be, thought provoking as I can be, and entertaining as I can be.

I look forward to your comments, e mails and communications of all types.

Let’s get started.

 

YOU SAY WHAT?

I am sure that everyone reading this has gone into a “big box” store to purchase some sort of electronics. Last night was my latest experience.

One of the TV sets I had went bad and it was time to buy a new one. Off I went in search of an inexpensive set to fill the vacant space where the old TV sat for years. My first stop was a favorite store of mine, Best Buy.

I know that over the years best Buy has had some very bad press about its lack of customer service, and I will be the first to say, they deserved it. However over the past few years, at least for me, they have really turned it around and improved greatly.

So, here I was in front of the GREAT WALL OF TELEVISIONS, trying to make a selection. Was 32” too small? Was 60” too big? LCD, LED, HDTV, 720P, 1080P, PLASMA, the market has truly turned into an alphabet soup and unless you know what all these letters mean, a decision is hard to make.

Up walks my “salesman”! A young man who wore his blue shirt with pride. I told him what I was looking for and in seconds he had me pointed at a set. It didn’t take me long to make up my mind and I bought the one he suggested.

While the stock people were bringing my new TV up from the stockroom, my SALESMAN started to write up the order and have me pay. As he was ringing up my purchase he said, “I’ll go ahead and add the $160.00 for the extended warranty”. To that I said, “WHAT”?

I believe in the assumptive close, and I guess he made the ultimate assumption.

Does anyone see what I had a problem with? Before you can close you need to SELL. My SALESMAN forgot to do what his job description says he is supposed to do, SELL! He never told me anything about the warranty, NOTHING, not what it covered, how it worked, how long it lasted, NOTHING! He just TOLD me he was going to add it to the invoice.

At this point the Sales Trainer came out in me. I reached over and snatched my credit card away from him and said, “Don’t you think I should know what I am getting for $160 bucks?”

As he started to give me all the features of the warranty I once again stopped him. I said “so what does that mean to me?” I guess he saw the smile on my face because he asked me if this were some sort of test. I replied YES, and you have failed miserably.

As sales reps we all want to assume the sale, but we all need to understand that to assume a sale there needs to be a sales presentation. The customer needs to have at least a minimal idea of what you are offering and how what you have will benefit them before you can assume the sale.

If you sell a service, let the customer know what the service is and how the service will make their business or life better. If you sell a product, either tell them or better yet SHOW them how your product is better than what they have now. If they don’t have one now, let them know how owning yours will make their business or life better. SHOW, TELL and then SELL!

There is an old saying in sales: A PRESENTATION WITHOUT A DEMONSTRATION IS JUST A CONVERSATION!

Do what we do best SELL. If we forget to sell our product or service we are just visitors.

By the way, I did buy the TV and I didn’t buy the warranty. I spent about 30 minutes trying to make my point with MY SALESMAN about selling. I hope that everyone reading this catches on quicker than he did.

Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment