Monday, October 3, 2011

DON’T JUST STOP BY

Today I was in the field with a rep and we were making cold calls. During the day I kept hearing him say the same phrase over and over, “I Just Stopped By”.
The first time he said it I let it go thinking he wouldn’t say it again, the second time I pointed it out to him, by the fourth time I was going crazy!
When you tell a customer I JUST STOPPED BY you make it sound like the sales call is an afterthought. There is nothing special about just stopping by. I am pointing this out in my day today but this is something I have heard from reps for years, not just new reps but seasoned reps as well.
I just stopped in fits so easily into a sales presentation, it almost has become a standard line for many reps. But allow me to give you an alternative saying that will convey the same message but make the customer feel very special. Instead of just stopping in try using, “I MADE IT A POINT TO STOP BY YOUR SHOP TODAY”. By making it a point, the customer feels like you went out of your way to bring what you have to them. Now they feel special.
Does it really matter? Well rather than me telling you the answer, ask yourself how you would feel hearing the two phrases said to you. Do you want to be just another stop or would you feel better being a special stop?
Sometimes the difference between getting the appointment or making the sale isn’t dependant on your product or price, it may be how the customer feels about buying from you.
Tomorrow try making every stop special by MAKING IT A POINT TO STOP.
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment