Tuesday, October 4, 2011

IT NEVER HAPPENS TO ME

“Over the last few weeks Mr. Customer, I have heard that businesses like this have been having a problem with _______, and a lot of these businesses have been looking for a solution, is this the case here with your business?”
I am sure that many of you have asked a question similar to this to one of your customers over the past several days. I am just as sure that many of you heard, “no, I really don’t have that problem” as a response.
So why is it that problems which are so wide spread NEVER happen to your customers? It is really easy to figure out, instead of asking questions and revealing the problem, you tried to take a shortcut and PLACE the problem in your customers business.
Think about it for a second, If you were standing on a corner and a stranger walked up and introduced themselves as a Psychologist, and then said to you, “Many of the people I have talked to recently have told me they were under a lot of stress and needed medication to cope with all their problems, is this how you feel and do you take meds to help you cope?”
What would you say? If I was talking a handful of pills every hour and felt depressed to the point of going insane, I would tell the person, “Nope, I am fine. Little things like that don’t bother me!” No one wants to discuss their problems with strangers, much less a stranger that TELLS them their problems.
If sales reps would conduct a proper discovery meeting and instead of telling the customer what problems they have would uncover the customer’s problems and concerns by asking good probing questions, the customer would be more open to listening to how the sales reps product or service may be the solution.
The difference between a good sales rep and a great sales rep is how effectively the rep can discover the customer’s pain, have the customer agree that the pain needs to be taken care of and presents their product as the best solution.
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment