Wednesday, March 28, 2012

RULE NUMBER 6

If you watch N.C.I.S. as much as I do Gibb’s Rule #6 will be very familiar to you; never say you’re sorry, it is a sign of weakness.

In the investigation service this may be true all the time, in sales it is true MOST of the time.

It is very common for a sales rep to tell a customer or prospect that they are sorry when the rep really hasn’t done anything to be sorry for. In this case Gibb’s is right, it is a sign of weakness. It is also an open door for a customer to take advantage of your weakness.

If in fact you have done something wrong, something that caused a problem for the customer or something that would make you look like you have done a sloppy job (like forgetting something you had promised the customer) then telling the customer you are sorry is in order.

I have been with reps that apologize for anything that happens. I’m sorry you are late, I’m sorry it is raining, I’m sorry it gets dark at night, I’m sorry, I’m sorry. WHY?

If you think the customer wants to hear you be submissive I believe you are dead wrong. Think about times when you were dealing with a sales rep. What would you have rather heard, a confident self assured rep that did whatever they could to be of service or a weak submissive rep that acted like a scared little puppy.

As you were writing your check which rep would you have felt better about handing over your money to?

I know which one I would choose. I like a strong confident rep. I want a rep that tells me what I need to hear not what I want to hear. I want a rep that will stand up to me and make sure that I do the right thing. Not rudely, but confidently.

As sales reps, our customers should rely on us to guide them and bring them information, products and services that help their businesses run better. Our customers depend on us not allowing them to do things that will undermine their success. In short, our customers want us to lead them down the right paths. Like any leader, strength and confidence on our part builds trust on the part of the customers.

Like the line from Love Story says, “Love is never having to say you’re sorry”. Like I say, “Sales is only saying you’re sorry when you did something wrong”.
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment