Monday, April 30, 2012

DANCE LIKE NO ONE IS WATCHING


There is an old poem that I am sure many of you have heard or read, it goes like this;

Dance like no one is watching

Love like you'll never be hurt

Sing like no one is listening

And live like it's heaven on earth



This is a fun saying that has been around for many years. As usual, I have a new line to add that is for Sales Reps;



SELL LIKE YOU DON’T NEED THE MONEY!



That’s right, sell like you don’t need the money. Sell without desperation, Sell without fear, Sell without worries, JUST SELL.

When I am in the field with sales reps working, I can almost tell you their financial situation by the tone of their voice, I can tell you how happy they are by the look in their eyes, and I can tell you if their manager has had the “MAKE YOUR NUMBERS OR ELSE” talk by the way they react to a prospect saying no.

Back in September I was at my companies National Sales Meeting. At the meeting we had a speaker from the Jeffrey Gitomer group come in and address the sales force. He had one of the best lines I have ever heard, he said that some reps are so desperate that they have “COMMISSION BREATH” and the customers can smell it a mile away!

Customers want to do business with sales reps that are sure of themselves. They want their sales reps to have confidence. They want their sales rep to be honest and relaxed. None of these can happen if you have COMMISSION BREATH!

I know many very wealthy sales reps; these are reps that truly don’t need the money. Yet each of them wants to make sales. They NEED to make sales, not for their managers but for themselves. These reps make the sales more often than not simply because they sell like they don’t need the money. They have an “I don’t care” attitude about them. If the customer buys that’s GREAT, if not they say Oh Well and move on to the next customer.

It is that I DON”T CARE attitude that helps the rep because the customer doesn’t see any weakness in them. The customer doesn’t see any desperation and the customer doesn’t feel any pressure.

Sales if the most fun career I can think of. I went into sales for all the freedom, and stayed for all the rewards. I enjoy all the things that selling and Training have afforded me and my family. You need to adopt the same mindset of thanks rather than resent. You need to learn to enjoy selling rather than dreading it.

So it doesn’t matter how you dance, love, sing, or live, as long as you SELL LIKE YOU DON”T NEED THE MONEY!

Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment