Wednesday, April 25, 2012

LUCK


What is it about sales reps that make them give luck the credit for their hard work?

We have all heard a rep that just closed a sale tell everyone how LUCKY they were. We have all heard reps that have had their best sales period tell everyone how LUCKY they were. We have all heard reps that have had their best year tell everyone how LUCKY they were. And we have all heard sales reps that win awards for top rep of the year get up on stage and give luck credit for all the reps hard work.

Well I am here to set the record straight! There is no luck! There is hard work! There is a plan! There is strategy! There is effort! There is time! But there is NO LUCK!

Many of you have listened to me give my definition of when a rep can blame luck on making a sales, if not here it goes.

If you are driving on an expressway at 60 MPH and your right front tire blows out and your car goes into a spin, you spin in front of a another car that slams on its brakes and causes the 18 wheeler behind them to go into a jack knife, to avoid the 18 wheeler the tour bus behind it swerves off the road and passes by everyone including you, when it comes to a stop 100 yards in front of your car a guy gets off the bus walks back to your car and says, “Hey, I don’t know what it is you sell but place an order for the largest quantity you carry and here is my BLACK AMERICAN EXPRESS card with an unlimited credit line to pay for it with!

If this ever happens to you, even I will agree that it was pure luck that made the sale. However, if you go into the field every day, make calls and do demos, talk to people and answer questions every day and make a sale it isn’t luck! It was hard work and your plan coming together.

If you still insist on giving the credit to luck I want you to think of this. Have you ever noticed that the reps that work the hardest, work the longest, and work the best plans have more luck than those who don’t work as hard, work as long or work a good a plan?

Yes, what I am saying is we make or own luck every day. We make a decision to be lucky by deciding to do what we are supposed to do, SELL!

I know the old saying, “I would rather be lucky than good” and I say bologna! (Oscar Mayer spelling). The facts show the GOODER (my own word) you are the LUCKIER you get!

As a sales rep and a sales trainer, I know that I need success as much as I need air to survive. My success is just that MY SUCCESS not luck. I truly believe that if each of you talks a long hard look inside yourself you will find the same thing hold true for you as well.

L = LABORING

U = UNDER

C = CORRECT

K = KNOWLEDGE

Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment