Monday, August 13, 2012

THE PARTYS OVER


Last night I watched the closing ceremonies of the Olympics. I watched all the performers entertain what may be the greatest assembly of athletes ever. It was awe inspiring to watch all the replays of games and thrill to the victories over and over again.

Like a child starting out for their first gymnastics class, I sat there and pictured myself on the winner’s platform receiving my Gold Medal. I thought about what it would be like to win an Olympic Gold and wondered what I would say when the microphones were pointed at me.

Then my daughters little dog jumped in my lap, crawled up my chest and started licking my face which brought me back to reality. (I must have had some of my dinner on my cheek, the dog seemed very excited to be licking me)

It didn’t take long for me to start thinking about the Gold Medal again, this time however I wasn’t thinking what it would be like, I was thinking what it WAS like. I have won Top Sales Awards and have been on the winner’s stage several times before. I have had the microphone pointed at me during national sales meetings and had to answer the question, What does it feel like to win?

As the dog continued to lick my cheek (I must have had a lot of dinner on my face, I wonder why no one told me about it…a question for another post) I came to the conclusion that sales reps are competing at the Olympic level every day! We go into our territories, offices, phone rooms or wherever we sell from and go head to head with our competition time after time on a daily basis.

Like the Olympics, every time we compete, someone gets the GOLD and someone is out of the medal standings. Like the Olympians, we all know both feelings all too well.

The biggest difference between all of us and the Olympians is we don’t need to wait 4 years to “Go for the gold” again. Our next Olympics start as soon as we reach out, in whatever manner we use, to our next prospect.

 Like tens of millions of other people around the world, I am going to miss the excitement and energy of the Olympics. The good news is as a Sales Rep I will have the excitement and energy of selling to take its place.

Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment