Monday, December 27, 2010

DREAM A LITTLE DREAM FOR ME

I Resign
I am hereby officially tendering my resignation as an adult.
I have decided I would like to accept the responsibilities of an 8-year-old again.
I want to go to McDonald's and think that it's a four star restaurant.
I want to sail sticks across a fresh mud puddle and make ripples with rocks.
I want to think M&Ms are better than money because you can eat them.
I want to lie under a big oak tree and run a lemonade stand with my friends on a hot summer day.
I want to return to a time when life was simple.
When all you knew were colors, multiplication tables, and nursery rhymes, but that didn't bother you, because you didn't know what you didn't know and you didn't care.
All you knew was to be happy because you were blissfully unaware of all the things that should make you worried or upset.
I want to think the world is fair. That everyone is honest and good.
I want to believe that anything is possible.
I want to be oblivious to the complexities of life and be overly excited by the little things again.
I want to live simple again.
I don't want my day to consist of computer crashes, mountains of paperwork, depressing news, how to survive more days in the month than there is money in the bank, doctor bills, gossip, illness, and loss of loved ones.
I want to believe in the power of smiles, hugs, a kind word, truth, justice, peace, dreams, the imagination, mankind, and making angels in the snow.
So...here's my checkbook and my car keys, my credit cards and all my responsibility.
I am officially resigning from adulthood. And if you want to discuss this further, you'll have to catch me first, 'cause,
"Tag! You're it."

If this didn’t make you laugh a little, bring a small tear to your eye, and think a lot you had better check your pulse.

Inside us all there is a kid just waiting to come out and have fun. I guess there isn’t a better day for these inner kids to show themselves then Christmas.

Every year for the past 32 years my family and I have gone to our best friend’s home for Christmas. The house is decorated (and I mean decorated!) the tree is lit and the presents are all tucked away under the tree waiting for dinner to end so they can be opened.
There was a time that our friends had over 30 people over each Christmas. But as many of you know, LIFE HAPPENS, and this year there were less than half that many (still not a bad number) and the youngest was 13 years old. The kids that were just infants are now in their 20’s and 30’s and we are in our….. second round of 20’s.

Things have changed, but when you read the story I RESIGN a lot of memories come back of the Christmases that have gone by.

Maybe our work needs the same memories. Let’s face it, we have all matured in our careers as well as our lives. Do we need to resign our tenure at work and become a rookie again? Forget about all the shortcuts and ways we have learned to “BEAT” the system and simply get back to selling. Do we need to put the pressures of being the most experienced, the top dogs, and the best aside and go back to having fun selling? Possibly we need to stop looking for the reasons WHY NOT and start looking for the reasons WHY TO.

We all need to adopt the song, I WON’T GROW UP, as our theme song. Sing it while in your car driving to your next sales call.

PETER PAN:
Listen to your teacher. Repeat after me:
I won't grow up,
(I won't grow up)
I don't want to go to school.
(I don't want to go to school)
Just to learn to be a parrot,
(Just to learn to be a parrot)
And recite a silly rule.
(And recite a silly rule)
If growing up means
It would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree,
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up
Not me!
Not I,
Not me!
Not me!
I won't grow up,
(I won't grow up)
I don't want to wear a tie.
(I don't want to wear a tie)
And a serious expression
(And a serious expression)
In the middle of July.
(In the middle of July)
And if it means I must prepare
To shoulder burdens with a worried air,

I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up
Not me,
Not I,
Not me!
So there!
Never gonna be a man,
I won't!
Like to see somebody try
And make me.
Anyone who wants to try
And make me turn into a man,
Catch me if you can.
I won't grow up.
Not a penny will I pinch.
I will never grow a mustache,
Or a fraction of an inch.
'Cause growing up is awfuller
Than all the awful things that ever were.
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up,
No sir,
Not I,
Not me,
So there!

I won't grow up!
(I won't grow up)
I will never even try
(I will never even try)
I will do what Peter tells me
(I will do what Peter tells me)
And I'll never ask him why
(And I'll never ask him why)

We won't grow up!
(We won't grow up)
We will never grow a day
(We will never grow a day)
And if someone tries to make it
(And if someone tries to make it)
We will simply run away
(We will simply run away)

I won't grow up!
(I won't grow up)
No, I promise that I won't
(No, I promise that I won't)
I will stay a boy forever
(I will stay a boy forever)
And be banished if I don't!
(And be banished if I don't)

And Never Land will always be
The home of beauty and joy
And neverty
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up
Not me!
Not me!
Not me!
Not me!
No sir!
Not me!

I wouldn’t trade my family, friends, career, or life I have had for anything in the world, but it sure is fun to think about!

TAG! YOU’RE IT!

Lorin

You can leave a comment on any post by clicking on the word "comment" at the bottom of the post page. You can also follow my blog by clicking on the "FOLLOW" button in the upper right of the page. Thank you for being a part of the Training Buffet, Help Yourself. If you like what you have read please tell a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment