Friday, December 24, 2010

HELP YOURSELF

When I named this blog I had two ideas that I wanted to get across to people as to what the blog was about.
The first part is TRAINING BUFFET. I was trying to give the idea that I had many different items that someone could browse through and select whichever “DISH” they wanted. I now have 92 items on the buffet for your pleasure.
The second idea that I wanted to convey was HELP YOURSELF. This part of the name could be taken two ways. The first way, like any good host, I want you to Help Yourself and take away however many tips and ideas as you want. The second meaning is to Help Yourself as in self improvement. My hope was when you read my blog you would be better after the experience than before.
Help Yourself may be the most important message that I can give to any sales rep. (actually it is the best advice I can give to anyone). You can’t wait for things to happen TO you, you need to make things happen FOR you.
Have you ever sat down and thought about what you do every day? Have you thought about how you do it? Have you thought about how you can IMPROVE whatever it is you do? These are three important questions that can ultimately make you the best in your chosen profession.
Helping yourself is one of the most difficult things to do. Most people (I am expanding my scope from just reps to all people for this post) view themselves in one of two ways, either very good at what they do or very bad at what they do. Very few see themselves as mediocre. This is the basis of the problem, the people that see themselves as very good seldom look to get better because they think they are already the best. The people who see themselves as bad seek self improvement even less because they have usually given up on trying to improve and accept incompetence. What EVERYONE needs to understand is THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT.
Let me talk to the people reading this that see themselves as Very Good. I have found that there is a tremendous difference between people that are very good and people that are GREAT at what they do. People that are very good eventually become VERY BAD because they won’t HELP THEMSELVES. In simple terms, their ability is overshadowed by their EGO. These people will occasionally admit that there are people better than they are SOMEWHERE, but they never view the people trying to help them as being better. Their EGO tells them that they can’t know anyone better personally, the better people are the authors they read and star in videos they watch.
The people who are great get to be great, because they understand that no matter how much they know they can always learn more and get better through SELF IMPROVEMENT. These people know that they can learn from anyone, get ideas from anyone, and become better because of something someone said. GREAT people are always looking for ways to get better. Just like the dishes served here on the Training Buffet, great people will try everything once to see if it helps them. If it doesn’t help they may never try it again, but they now they are better because they tried it.
The Training Buffet, Help Yourself is for everybody. Like a chef, I sprinkle in my special blend of ingredients that make each dish helpful, simple and amusing. (Can you tell I watch the Food Network?)Every recipe has been selected because it has a personal meaning to me, and a message for you. Some people will not like every dish on the buffet, which is expected, if something isn’t to your taste move onto the next item then to the next until you find that special item that sparks your appetite and triggers your sense to learn and improve. When you find the dishes you like most, please HELP YOURSELF.
The success of this blog won’t be measured by how many hits I get or how many posts I publish, the success of this blog will be measured by HOW MANY PEOPLE IMPROVE BECAUSE OF THE ITEMS I PLACED ON THE BUFFET.
I wish all of my readers and their families a Happy Holiday. Please be safe and enjoy what the holiday brings. My gift to you is the knowledge, experience, information, and occasional laugh that the TRAINING BUFFET, HELP YOURSELF offers you.
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment