Friday, December 10, 2010

FRIDAY ALREADY?

Before I get started on today’s post I need to ask those of you who follow my blog if you remember what today is. If you do remember, raise your hand. Oh come on, put your hands down I can’t see you..LOL.. Let me give you a hint, we are 21 days from 2011. You got it, today is the day you need to start forming your Before New Year’s Resolution. I hope you have selected the habit you want to form and have your plan laid out so today can be the first day of doing something that makes you better. If you didn’t think about it and don’t have a habit that you want to form, today’s blog just might help you.
Today is Friday; a fact that I am sure hasn’t gotten past any of you. The question I have is how many of you woke up Monday morning looking forward to today coming? You know what I mean, the TGIF Syndrome. We have all met people (I hope you are not one of them) that count down the days every week looking forward to Friday. They dread Monday because it is the first day of their “How Can I Avoid Work” week”.  Tuesday they complain about how long a day Monday was and they make it a point to tell you that Tuesday isn’t looking any better.  Wednesday is HUMP DAY, this is the first day that these people show any excitement at all, and unfortunately the excitement is only about being closer to Friday. Thursday is an “All Smiles” day because tomorrow is what they have been waiting for. Then it is here, the greatest day of the week, FRIDAY the last working day of the week, the day before they can do nothing for 2 days.
Wait a minute, the only thing most of these people have been doing since Monday morning is looking forward to Friday, the only difference between the weekdays and weekends is they do nothing at home on the weekends instead of going to the office or calling on customers to do nothing!
I have always disliked Fridays, to me the weekends break up the momentum I have gotten for the week and makes it harder for me to really get started on Monday.
Have you ever noticed how many successful people carry a briefcase home with them on weekends? I know people who I may get e mails from any day of the week and to be honest just about any hour of the day or night. BTW, how many of you have gotten e mails from me at 2 or 3 AM?
I can remember when some people in the office were called “CLOCK WATCHERS”. These were the people that you always made sure you were not between them and the door at quitting time, or you would get run over! Today the clock watchers have been replaced by the “CALENDAR WATCHERS”.
Now don’t get me wrong, I am not all for the employer and telling you that they deserve to get a week’s work for a week’s pay. What I am telling you is every boss I have ever had knew who the clock watchers were, (and don’t forget I have owned my own company also and was a boss) and now they know who the calendar watchers are. Don’t fool yourself, they know and when it comes time to make changes, they know where the changes are going to be coming from.
Last evening I went to a meeting and listened to a speaker, Peter Bourke, author of the book “A Better Way To Make A Living… And A Life, Thriving in the New World of Work”. One of the points that he made was that every boss has “A” “B” and “C” employees. When a boss meets someone who they really like and they want to hire them they will look first at the “C” players in that job and replace them. Here is a hint, MOST CALENDAR WATCHERS ARE “C” PLAYERS! Even if they are “A” & “B” workers, the boss sees them as “C” employees because they are not the people the boss can depend on.
Maybe the Before New Year’s resolution you make should be to stop being a calendar watcher. Just so happens today is a great Friday to start developing the new habit.
Look at everyday with promise, know that every day brings opportunity, make everyday a learning day and go to bed at night a little better then you were when you woke up, and have faith in yourself and your abilities.
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment