Tuesday, December 21, 2010

IF YOU USE A TOOL WRONG IT CAN BE WORSE THAN NOT HAVING THE TOOL AT ALL

As reps we have tools that we keep with us to help us make sales. As luck would have it, I was witness to a rep using his tools all wrong today. I first watched as he lost the sale and then I was able to give him some advice on how to use the same tools on his next call.
First let me set the stage, I was sitting in a doctor’s office waiting for my wife, a young man came walking in and went up to the nurses desk and asked for the doctor. The nurse told him to take a seat and she would let the doctor know he was there. In about 5 minutes the doctor came out to meet the rep. The first thing the rep did was hand the doctor his business card. Immediately the doctor started to read the card and was paying no attention to what the rep was saying at all, but did that stop the rep from finishing his introduction? NO!!! He kept talking even though the doctor obviously wasn’t listening. I actually started to laugh out loud when I saw this happen.
It was as if this rep had sat through my classes and decided to do all the things I have taught reps not to do. The next second the rep reached into his case and pulled out a handful of pens, pads, and other desk stuff with his company name on it and literally DUMPED the pile onto the nurse’s desk. The funny part about this was the nurse was on the phone and didn’t see it coming, and got the most annoyed look on her face as everything rolled and fell across her clean desk.
I wish I could have seen the rest of the sales pitch, but the doctor and rep went into the back of the office. About 10 minutes later the two of them stepped back into the waiting area and once again a pile of “STUFF” came out of the reps bag and this time into the doctor’s hands, but there was so much stuff that it fell all over the floor. The doctor couldn’t shake the reps hand goodbye because of all the items he holding.
I didn’t know if I should just sit there and laugh or get up and meet the rep outside by the elevators and try and help him. You can guess what I did. If I didn’t get up this would be the shortest blog posting of the year!
I walked outside into the hallway with the rep and introduced myself. I quickly told him that I was a sales trainer and if he had a few minutes I felt that I had some good tips for him. This young man really impressed me, he said he would love to listen and asked if he could buy me a cup of coffee. I explained I was waiting for my wife but we could talk right there.
I walked him through the sale as I saw it, starting with the handing of the business card. I told him that a business card is an exit tool. Why does the doctor need a business card when he was right there tell the doctor who he was and who he worked for? I asked if he realized what the doctor was doing as he was talking through his introduction. He admitted to me that he didn’t remember, he said I have a hard enough time getting the words out much less observing the doctors. I told him that while the doctor was reading his card and paying no attention at all to him he kept talking as if to no one.
Next I asked him about the pens and pads. I asked him if he had a budget for these or if he paid for them. He told me that he got all he needed for free from the company. I was impressed, I then asked what they were supposed t be used for. He answered to make sure the doctors and staff remembered his company and the drug they sold. This was a little different than what I was used to, so I had to take a different path. I told him that I have always taught reps to use these items as rewards for placing an order. I explained that if you just give this stuff away with no commitment on the buyer’s part then they would expect them all the time. He said they DO expect them all the time. So next I asked if he had any nicer stuff that he could give away. He said he had some really nice things and that he got them for free also. I recommended that he use the inexpensive items as the reminders of the drug and company and then use the nice items as rewards for orders. He loved that idea (I am soooo smart)
Finally I talked about the quantity of items he gave and that if he was going to DUMP that many items he may want to find a better way so not to irritate the doctors and nurses by trashing their desks and dropping everything on the ground. I then finished with teaching him how to present his business card. I explained that if he handed the doctor the card at the end of the sales call, pointed to his name and address, and then circle his cell phone number telling the doctor that it was his DIRECT line and the doctor should use it if there is ANYTHING that he could do for him. I told the rep if he makes the card special it will be special, if he just turns it over to the doctor as if it had no value it would be in the trash before he was out the door.
This rep had a great selection of tools in his tool box. His problem was no one ever took the time to show him the right way to use them.
Each of you has tools that you can draw on to help with selling your product or service. Maybe you have pens and pads like this rep or maybe you have product samples. Using the tools wrong can actually hinder your ability to close the sale. Using the same tool correctly can make you a very memorable rep that will be on the customers speed dial.
Lorin

You can leave a comment on any post by clicking on the word "comment" at the bottom of the post page. You can also follow my blog by clicking on the "FOLLOW" button in the upper right of the page. Thank you for being a part of the Training Buffet, Help Yourself. If you like what you have read please tell a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment