Friday, February 25, 2011

ALIVE AND WELL

Over the past several months I have told stories about BAD customer service that I have experienced. Today I want to tell you about a company that still believes in exceptional customer service, RADIO SHACK.
I went into my local store to buy a headset for my cell phone. The salesman in the store listened carefully to what I wanted and then recited back to me what it was I just told him to make sure he understood. He then walked me over to a wall of headsets and ear bud and started to point out different things to me. He asked me how much I was looking to spend, he asked me if I wanted wired or wireless, (all questions I didn’t answer when I told him what I was looking for. He then told me that he was sorry, he had nothing to match what I wanted exactly.
I was disappointed, I loved listening to this guy and wanted to spend my money with him. He then told me if I had a second he will show me what he has closest to match my “wants”. He showed me a pair of ear buds and said that these were the best he had and came closest to what I wanted. He acknowledged they were not a headset, but he felt confident that I would like them. He told me that Radio Shack will refund my money within 30 days if I didn’t like them as much as he said I would.
WOW, what did I have to lose? I took them. We got to the cash register and he told me how much they were, $42.39! I have got to tell you I almost fell over, Delta sells ear buds for $2.00 on every flight! But he said I would be happy so I paid and left the store.
This may have been the best sales experience I have had in months. It was nice to see a pro at work.
I got into the car and excitedly opened the package, plugged the new ear buds into my phone, placed the buds in my ears and WOW they felt awesome. I couldn’t wait to make or receive a call. I started driving away and there it was my first call! I pushed answer and said, “This is Lorin”, my heart fell, I could hear my daughter clear as can be over the buds but I couldn’t hear myself. When I talked it sounded like I was hearing myself through a bucket of water.
After we disconnected I turned the car around and went back to the store. I walked in with the buds still in my ears. He looked at me and said, “Is something wrong”? I told him about the sound and he said that most ear buds work that way.
He could see how disappointed I was and without me saying a word, he took the package from me, asked for the ear buds and started the return. He asked if I wanted to try any others, he asked if I wanted to keep these a little longer to see if I got used to them, he asked if there was anything he could do to make me a happy customer. (Those were his exact words) I said no, but thanked him. In about 2 minutes I was out the door one set of ear buds light and with a full refund. NO QUESTIONS, NO HASSELS, JUST CUSTOMER SERVICE!
I am still looking for a headset for my cell phone, but I am glad I am able to write a positive post about customer service.
HUMMMM, if your customers had to write a post about how your customer service was would it be this positive?
THINK ABOUT IT!
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment