Monday, February 28, 2011

MAN UP AND SELL SOMETHING

This is going to be a fun post for me to write and I am sure you will enjoy reading it also.
My wife, daughter and I went out to dinner tonight and on the ride home I told them I needed to write my post for today when I got home. My daughter, who has inherited my humor, said “That’s simple, tell them to man up and sell something.”
I laughed and told her those were some pretty big words from a first grade teacher who doesn’t sell anything. She quickly told me to think about what I said. She told me that she doesn’t sell anything now, but she has sold tons of things in the past and has always been the TOP (she said it VERY loud, like father like daughter) salesperson.
I had to agree with her, when she sold Girl Scout cookies she would sell more than anyone else in her group, when she was in band she would sell Vidalia Onions for the yearly fund raiser and she would sell 2 to 3 times more than anyone else would sell. I had to admit, the kid could sell.
I asked her what her message would be to sales reps. There was absolutely no hesitation, she said be persistent, have a good attitude, and don’t stop until you get it done. I was beaming. My little girl has listened to me and learned from me.
So here is sales 101 from a first grade teachers point of view (remember, this is MY DAUGHTER, so not just any first grade teacher)
1)      Be Persistent – Erin told me to tell you that no matter what anyone says, it has no affect on what the next person says. You need to keep going with the same smile, the same excitement and the same enthusiasm. She actually repeated a line that I have used for years and had told her all the time, two jerks never live next to one another. In your cases as professional sales reps change the live to work and you have the same idea.
2)      Have a good attitude – In her words, no one wants to buy from a cute little girl who isn’t smiling! OK maybe that line doesn’t have a lot to do with anyone reading this but Erin did make it meaningful for all of you. She said, all the cookies were the same and sold for the same price. She told me she couldn’t sell them for any less than anyone else. The onions were the same way, everyone (including the grocery stores) sold them for just about the same amount. She asked me to tell her why she sold so many more than anyone else. I told her it was simple, she acted like she really enjoyed selling them. She made people happy to buy from her. Her message to you, start making people happy that you are there selling them something.
3)      Don’t stop until you get it done – Erin told me that she really doesn’t remember the first year selling Girl Scout Cookies, but she does remember the second year. She knew how many she had sold the previous year and she wanted to sell more! She went door to door (and so did I) asking everyone. I remember her going to a neighbor’s house that had a daughter in the same group she was in and she still asked for the sale and they bought a box! She told me that in Band she kept the list from year to year of each neighbor that bought and how many they bought so when she went back she could remind them. I can definitely tell you that she worked hard and got the results she wanted or she didn’t stop.
I am a proud father. My daughter Erin is not just a great teacher but she was an awesome sales person as well.
I have to tell you what just happened. As I am sitting here typing, my other daughter Alyson came by and she was reading over my shoulder. She stopped me and said, “What the heck? I was selling cookies and onions before Erin and I was the best at both also!” So here I am, bragging on one daughter when I should be bragging on both.
I am a lucky man to have such great kids and I couldn’t be more proud of their sales ability and their willingness to remind me of!
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment