Friday, July 15, 2011

A LITTLE OLD ANT

For the past week my Mother-In-Law has been visiting my wife and I. Unlike many people I have a wonderful relationship with my “MIL” and we had a great visit. This morning I drove her to meet a friend who she is going on a 2 week vacation to Florida with. During the ride my “MIL” and I were talking about some old songs and she reminded me of a silly song that I had not heard for years. The song is called “High Hopes” and was sung by Frank Sinatra.
As my “MIL” was talking I was running the lyrics through my mind and remembering the song. A big smile must have been on my face because my wife asked me what I was thinking. All I could do was start singing, “Just what makes that silly old ant, Think he’ll move a rubber tree plant, anyone knows an ant, can’t, move a rubber tree plant… but he’s got high hopes, he’s got high hopes, he’s got high apple pie in the sky hopes..so any time your getting low, stead of letting go, just remember that ant, oops there goes another rubber tree plant”
We all started laughing and I kept singing. As I sat down to write this post I still have the song in my head, so what better subject to write about!
I have said repeatedly that hopes without plans are nothing but dreams. I still feel that way and I am not sure there is anything anyone could do or say to change my mind. However the best plan will only be worthwhile if the rewards are enough to motivate us to work as hard as needed to put the plan into action.
Here is where the song comes into play. (no pun intended) If your hopes are big enough, or high enough in the case of the song, then you will refuse to acknowledge failure as an option. When you eliminate failure as one of your options the only thing left is success.
For the life of me I couldn’t remember all the lyrics of the song so I had to Google them. I only have one word for the lyrics, AWESOME! I wish I could send each of you a recording of the song, it is that good. Because I can’t I will do the next best thing. I am going to reprint the lyrics and give you a link to download the ringtone to your phone!
Read these lyrics and I think you will see how they are perfect for sales reps. After you read them once, print them off and when you are driving down the street going to your next sales call, sing them out loud (don’t worry you are all alone in your car, no one will know). Not only will you put a smile on your face, you will immediately feel your entire attitude start to get better as well.
WARNING: THE TUNE AND LYRICS ARE ADDICTING AND ONCE IN YOUR HEAD WILL STAY THERE FOR A LONG LONG TIME!
The link for the ringtone and to print the lyrics is: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/f/frank+sinatra/high+hopes_20055241.html

Frank Sinatra High Hopes Lyrics; Songwriters: J. VAN HEUSEN, S. CAHN
Next time you're found, with your chin on the ground
There a lot to be learned, so look around

Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant, can't
Move a rubber tree plant

But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time you're gettin' low
'stead of lettin' go
Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant

When troubles call, and your back's to the wall
There a lot to be learned, that wall could fall

Once there was a silly old ram
Thought he'd punch a hole in a dam
No one could make that ram, scram
He kept buttin' that dam

but he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time you're feelin' bad
'stead of feelin' sad
Just remember that ram
Oops there goes a billion kilowatt dam

All problems just a toy balloon
They'll be bursted soon
They're just bound to go pop

Oops there goes another problem kerplop
Oops, there goes another problem kerplop
Oops, there goes another problem kerplop
Kerplop!
Lorin

BTW, Yesterday I asked a question and told you I would give you my answer today.

The question I would ask the best rep in my industry is, "In your opinion, what separates a good rep from a GREAT rep?"

I still want your answers also. Send them to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment