Tuesday, July 26, 2011

REP TO FRIEND, THE JOURNEY WORTH TAKING

Today I was taken to lunch by a sales rep. Ten years ago that is how I would have started this blog, however today I was taken to lunch by a good friend of mine Jagat Trivedi the VP of Sales and Marketing for Agora Leather Products.
As I said, Jagat and I met about ten years ago. I was looking for a vendor to manufacture a new salesman case that my boss and I designed. Over the years we had gotten some small items from Jagat and he was always asking for a shot at our “BIG” business. This was his shot.
I can remember it as if it were yesterday, Jagat came in and listened to every detail about the bag we wanted and when we were done he made some suggestions and told us he would have a sample made for us in 4 to 5 weeks. Like a good sales rep he under promised and over delivered, he was back in less than 3 weeks with a bag that not only had everything we had asked for but several additions that Jagat thought would come in handy.
We made a few changes and a week later he was back with the sample. IT WAS PERFECT! That was a good sales day for Jagat, I know this because I was the one who placed the order for 1000 of the bags. I know this wasn’t a tremendous sale in his world, but he made me feel as if it were the biggest sale he had ever made.
He followed up with me often giving me the updates as to the manufacturing schedule and shipping schedule. If things were behind he always let me know and if things were ahead of schedule he would communicate that as well.
Over the next 7 years I must have ordered 2 to 3 thousand more bags from him, at one point we redesigned the bag and added wheels and a collapable handle. Every time Jagat came by he made me feel like I was his biggest and only customer.
Jagat knew how to carry on a conversation and he learned about my family and always asked about them. I also got to know him and about his family. It is funny because today at lunch I found out things about Jagat that I never knew like he is a mechanical engineer.
I have changed companies now and I have not bought anything from him in about 4 years, but we still keep in touch. Jagat and I have made the jump from sales rep/customer to FRIENDS. Let me ask you a question, if I ever need anything like what Jagat sells at my new company do you have any doubt I will call him in a New York Second? If he ever has the chance to promote me and my training, any doubt he will?
This is the Stanley Cup, the Super Bowl Ring, the World Series Trophy, the Oscar, the Green Jacket of sales. The moment a customer becomes a friend and the moment you are a rep become a customer’s friend you have left the traditional relationship behind and forged a new stronger relationship that will last for years to come.
It was once said that selling is nothing more than making friends. I think there may be a little more to it than that, but making friends is certainly a big part of the sales puzzle.
Jagat, I know you are going to read this, if you remember I told you I take what happens to me every day and try and put a sales twist on it so I can blog about it. Here is the proof. Thank you for lunch, I will see you soon FRIEND!
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment