Thursday, July 28, 2011

WHAT TIME IS IT

We have all heard the term “CLOCK WATCHER”. It is a derogatory name for someone who never shows up early for work and never leaves late. This person works only the hours that are expected of them.
Many years back I had a rep ask me, “How many hours am I expected to work every week?” The only thing I could think of is I am talking to a clock watcher. The look on my face and the answer I gave shocked the rep as much as his question shocked me. I told him as many as it takes for you to achieve what you promised the company you would achieve.
Most of us get paid at least a small portion of our earnings as commissions (some 100%) and this question seemed so silly to me. I know that I worked as many hours as I needed to hit my maximum commissions and I thought all reps did at least that much to help themselves.
BOY WAS I WRONG! Since that rep asked me the question I have had dozens of reps ask me the same question. I am confused, if a good portion of our income depends on our hitting goals and quotas then why would any rep ask this question. I would think that a rep would ask, “Is there a limit to the number of hours I can work?”
I will be one of the first to tell you that work isn’t everything. I have a family, I have friends, and I try and have a life. However if I didn’t have any commitments to my family or friends and I was behind in sales I worked as many hours as I could.
As a sales manager I always felt that if a rep hit their numbers they didn’t need to work the long hours. However, working short hours and having short numbers is a bad combination.
When I interview outside sales reps, in about 99% of the interviews the rep tells me that the freedom to control their own time is a major factor of them becoming an outside rep. I was one of the 99%, but I also realized that along with the freedom comes the responsibility.
I have never seen a clock watcher become a success, but have you ever noticed how many successes carry a briefcase home with them? I don’t think they have their leftovers from the Training Buffet in those cases.
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment