Tuesday, June 12, 2012

BON APPETIT


It has happened to me in the past several times and it happened again today, therefore I am once again going to try and explain the method to my sales training madness here on the Training Buffet, Help Yourself.

When I started this blog almost 2 years ago my thought was to put my training methodology and ideas in print so anyone who wanted to could log on and learn. For those of you that have been my steady followers you know that I have for the most part stayed on track.

What I put into word here are either best practices that I have found during my sales training experience or real life situations that have happened to me which I felt would have meaning to you.

There are two things that I need to make clear:

1)      The best practices that I outline are what I have found to be the BEST.

2)      I believe and practice what I post. This isn’t a “do as I say not as I do” situation.

There is also one thing that I know to be absolutely true, NO ONE WILL AGREE WITH EVERYTHING I POST! I don’t expect it and it doesn’t hurt my feelings.

I received a call from a rep today that called just to challenge my beliefs in my thoughts and ideas. I know this rep fairly well and he has called me many times about my posts. This time however the conversation was awkward, he wasn’t calling to discuss my posts he was calling to argue about the content.

There is an old saying that some minds are like concrete, they are all mixed up and set! This was one of those minds. I told him I wasn’t going to defend every post he disagreed with, it was his privilege to disagree with me about anything I posted. I did tell him that I believed in whatever I posted and felt it was good useful information for my readers.

He kept pushing me and kept questioning my beliefs in what I wrote.

When I heard him starting to run out of breath, I said this one last thing to him before I said good bye:

“LIKE ANY OTHER BUFFET, THE TRAINING BUFFET, HELP YOURSELF HAS A VARIETY OF DIFFERENT TOPICS AND IDEAS. NO ONE LIKES EVERYTHING ON A BUFFET, BUT EVERYONE USUALLY LIKES THE MAJORITY OF IT OR THEY WOULDN’T BE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.”

I have read books with hundreds of pages and when I was finished I had only a few words that were memorable. I have sat through training classes that were several weeks long and when I was done had only one idea that I thought was worthwhile. There are 376 posts on the Training Buffet, help Yourself not including this one. I don’t think you will enjoy each one but I know that you can find a few to your taste.

BON APPETIT!

Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment