Monday, June 11, 2012

GET TO THE POINT, ANY POINT!


Have you ever listened to a sales rep and after they were done with their sales presentation you still didn’t have a clear idea of what they sold? This happened to me today.

I was approached by a gentleman standing by a kiosk in a local mall, he walked up to my wife and I and politely asked for a moment of our time. Because it was raining and we didn’t have a lot to do today we agreed. He walked us back to his kiosk and started his presentation. At first it sounded like a time share presentation, and then it sort of started to sound more like a vacation club. As we stood there a little longer it I was thinking he was selling a buying service.

After about 4 or 5 minutes I was so confused that I had to ask my wife if she had any idea of what we were listening to. She laughed and said that she had been lost for some time and she thought I knew what he was selling.

The two of us looked at the rep and my wife spoke up first, she said, what is it you want us to buy? He said that’s what I was telling you. I quickly chimed in and said, no, actually you haven’t told us anything yet you have just rambled on.

With that we both walked off. I was disappointed, usually these guys are better than that and my wife and I both enjoy hearing a good pitch. Needless to say this was not a good pitch!

So what lessons do I want to share with you that I learned from listening to this “Mall Rep”? First, be polite – his approach was very polite and professional. My wife and I both felt OK with giving him our time. Second, be focused – have a point to make before you start your presentation. Third, make your point – say what you want to say and don’t beat around the bush.

As reps we work hard to get a prospect or customer to listen to what we have to say, when we get the chance to make a presentation don’t confuse the customer, enlighten them. Paint clear pictures with your words that depict what it is you want the customer to know about you, your company and your product.

I still have no idea what it was that the “Mall Rep” was trying to show me, if I had maybe I would have bought one.

Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment