Tuesday, March 1, 2011

PICK A CARD ANY CARD

In years past when you heard someone say, “Pick a Card Any Card”, you knew a fool and his money were soon to be parted. Today it is something many sales reps could be saying to themselves everyday when they look at the stack of business cards they have accumulated on their desks. “Pick a Business Card Any Business Card” and let’s work on turning the person into a customer!
If you are like me, you have business cards all over your desk from people you have met. Hopefully, like me, on every card you have are a few notes on where you met the person, and information to help you sell them.
Business cards are great tools for you to use so you don’t need to make cold calls. If I have a business card and I have taken some notes on it, I can go back at anytime and start a conversation with this person by reminding them of where we have met. Think about it, If someone came up to you that you don’t remember ever meeting before and says, “Hi, I’m Lorin, I don’t know if you remember meeting me last June at the pool party over at Joes home…”. Even if you don’t remember me, chances are pretty good you remember the party and we will have an immediate commonality that I can build on for the start of the sale.
As you go about your business day after day, start asking everyone for a card. I actually have some blank cards that I keep with me so I can write down people’s names and information that don’t have cards with them. Why should I let someone slip by because they aren’t ready for MY success..LOL
Now you know to ask for business cards, but the next thing is to make sure that all the information you need is on the business card. Some people purposely don’t put their address on their cards to keep people from stopping by. If you get a card and there is no address make sure that during the conversation you ask where their office is located. On many cards the phone number is the main switchboard, ask for the person’s direct number or their cell number. Write down the name they want to go by. Last week I was introduced to a guy and the person introducing us called him “RICE”. When I looked at his card no place did it say RICE, so I asked and he told me that is what everyone calls him. If I would have tried to contact him and called him Eugene (the name on his card) he would have known at once that we had never met.
I hate to say this but I know that it will be a problem to some of you if I don’t. If you are going to get all this EXTRA information you need to have a pen or pencil with you to write it down. If not I can assure you that a year from now you won’t recall that Eugene went by RICE!
It is time to put all the business cards that you have gathered to work. These are all WARM leads that you can turn into HOT prospects and GREAT customers if you will just PICK A CARD ANY CARD!
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment