Friday, April 29, 2011

TOO SAFE FOR COMFORT

SIGN UP TO FOLLOW THE TRAINING BUFFET, HELP YOURSELF BY CLICKING THE BUTTON TO THE RIGHT.
As I was leaving a breakfast meeting today, one of the guys said to me “Take Care”. I looked at him and said, “That’s one of the biggest problems we have here, no one wants to take chances”.
I know my stab at motivation was lost on this guy, he was the type of person that has played it safe his whole life, and is in his 50’s at the same position he has been in for the past 20 years.
When I am leaving someone I say things like make it a great day, or have a great one, I am trying to encourage and motivate not hinder and suppress. I am sure that many of you have been told to “TAKE CARE” at least once today. Well my advice is, DON’T LISTEN!
Now hear me out, I am not an advocate of reckless abandon. I don’t think that being a dare devil is the way to go through life, it will catch up to you. However, being overly cautious is just as dangerous.
In business as in most things, you need to stretch the limits and challenge yourself to reap the greatest benefits. Most old sayings are based in some truth, sayings like, “You need to go out on a limb if you want the sweetest fruit”, “Nothing lost nothing gained”, “Risk not want not”, and my favorite, “NO PAIN NO GAIN”.
When someone tells you to “Take it easy” or “Be Careful” they think they are giving you good advice, the truth is they are holding you back. Not because what they say will stop you from doing something, but because after hearing “Take Care” over and over again for days, weeks, months, and years you start to subconsciously look for the safe things rather than taking a chance and risking a little to gain a lot.
As a parent I always told my daughters to “Knock’em Dead”, or “Make it a great day” while I heard other parents tell their children, “Be Careful”. I told my daughters to “Have fun”, while other parents told their kids, “Don’t do anything stupid”. To this day whenever I travel I send a message to my daughters telling them I am about to take off and always end the message with, “I LOVE YOU” while I hear other parents telling their children “ You better be good or else when I get home….”
The best thing you can do for your family, friends, co-workers, subordinates, or anyone else you meet every day is to give them encouragement to swing for the fence, give them a positive word to help build their confidence, and share with  them your enthusiasm and excitement about everything you do.
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment