Thursday, April 14, 2011

WHAT MAKES IT SO GOOD

I am spending the evening in NY by LaGuardia Airport. Never wanting to let an opportunity to eat NY pizza pass me by I went to a local pizza joint tonight for dinner. YUMMMMMMMMMM
I got back to my room and started thinking about how good the pizza was and then began to wonder what makes it so good? I am from NY so I know all the urban legends, it is the water, the cheese, the flour, the humidity, because they are all made by guys named Vinnie, the list is long. But if you think about all these they are all nothing but legends. There are different water systems that pull water from different places, just about every pizzeria uses their own blend of cheese, flour is made by dozens of mills, the humidity changes day by day, and I know for a fact that a few guys that make pizzas are named Vito. So what is it?
I thought about the pizza I get in Atlanta. Most, not all are not as good as what I had just eaten. But that means that some pizzas in Atlanta are every bit as good. So what is it? Some pizzas in Atlanta look like NY pizza, some smell like NY pizza, so WHAT IS IT? Then it hit me, what makes NY pizza better than Atlanta pizza is reputation. New Yorkers have been telling people that NY pizza is better for so long the legend has become reality.
So what makes your product or service so good? I am willing to bet that not one person reading this has a product or service that is one of a kind. We most likely all have competitors and in many cases their product is almost exactly like what we carry. So what makes yours so good?
The answer is the same, REPUTATION. The reputation is not only your products and companies, but it is also YOUR reputation.
If you strip away all the legends that your company has planted and strip away all the legends that you have started, and then strip away all the legends that your customers have bought into and have promoted, is your product really better?
If it is, then your job is to maintain the legend and keep it going, if it isn’t then your job is the same! Maintain and promote the legend.
You see, to represent a product or service, and really do a great job with it, you need to believe in the product and believe that it is the best and will do the most for your customers. I am not saying lie, I am not saying stretch the truth or bend it beyond recognition. I am saying you need to promote every feature to its fullest, stress every benefit to maximize the value, and build the story so every prospect believes you have the best solution to their problems.
You all now represent NY style pizza. Go and sell the legend!
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment