Thursday, January 19, 2012

PEOPLE CAN CHANGE

I had one of the best experiences a trainer could have today and I want to share it with all of you.
Several months ago I received a phone call from one of the reps that I had to work with. Let me just say, the call wasn’t a pleasant one. This rep had a lot of problems. He was negative about his job, territory, product, company, and most of all ME! He came right out and told me that I couldn’t teach him. He asked me why I was a trainer if I was such a great sales rep. He was convinced that I didn’t know enough about sales or the product to help him.
Needless to say my ears were ringing when I finally hung up the phone.
A few weeks later we touched base again, this time we had what I would call a civil conversation about all the things that he questioned our last call. To my surprise he was asking my opinion as well as for my council.
We haven’t talked for about 6 weeks now and today I received an e mail from the rep telling me that he was looking forward to my ride along with him, and in his words “despite myself”.
What changed, I don’t know. Maybe it was hearing from other reps I have worked with that I helped them. Maybe it was seeing reps starting to improve based on training. Maybe it was his lackluster sales that were causing him to grasp for straws. WHO CARES, the point is he changed.
I believe that every sales rep can get better at their trade. I also believe that every sales rep can learn from another sales rep, not necessarily a bigger producer or a rep with more tenure, ANY OTHER SALES REP. I have spent the last 18 years working to become a sales trainer, 18 years learning and listening, riding along with reps, doing sales presentations with reps and putting out fires with reps. I have done this so I can also help a rep when I am in the field with them.
There are trainers that have been doing this far longer than I have, they have made more presentations than I have and they have worked with more reps than I have. It doesn’t matter. Having a second set of eyes to watch the prospect, a second set of ears to listen to what the prospect is saying, a second set of hands to help with the demonstration or presentation, and a second opinion of what the next step should be in some situations is as the credit card commercial says, “PRICELESS”!
I feel good tonight, thank you RS for the e mail. I hope his story makes other sales trainers jobs a little better and makes all reps a little more open to the help when it is available.
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment