Friday, January 27, 2012

SORRY FOR SUCCESS?

No one ever apologizes for doing things right. I made this discovery today while I was talking to two reps. Both of these reps work for the same company and sell the same products to the same type customers. They are in areas of the country that have very similar economies and have within 2 years experience of one another.
One of the reps is doing a great job and the other rep is struggling to keep his job.
When I was talking to the rep that is doing well he only talked about what he has in the pipeline. He talked about the sales he made and what he had to do to make them. He talked about how much fun he is having.
The other rep who is struggling, well the conversation was very different. All I heard about was how bad the economy is and that HIS customers were all just barely getting by. I heard about how screwed up the company is, and all the mistakes they have made (most, by the way to other reps not him) and how the company is his biggest problem. I heard about how his product quality has gone down while his prices have gone up. I heard him blame everything and everyone except the one person who I am sure is the biggest part of his problem, HIM!
Now this isn’t unusual, I have talked about it in other posts here on the Training Buffet, help Yourself. What was unusual is the fact that I talked to these reps within an hour of each other. It was as if they talked ahead of time and made up their stories so they would be exactly 180 degrees apart from one another.
It was hard to believe they both worked for the same company. You would think a company that has made so many mistakes for one rep would have made a few for the other, yet I didn’t hear a word about any mistakes. Neither did I hear about the economy, customers folding up shop, poor product quality, or any other excuses. When a rep is doing well they don’t make excuses, they make sales!
Yesterday I wrote about keeping a positive attitude. The one thing I didn’t say yesterday was;
“THE BEST WAY TO GET AND MAINTAIN A POSITIVE ATTITUDE IS TO BE SUCCESSFUL!”
The two stupidest things in the world are having a bad attitude when you win and making excuses for success.
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment