Friday, May 25, 2012

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY


It seems like it was just yesterday that we were celebrating New Years and here it is Memorial Day and the summer is upon us.

Like many of you I will be enjoying hot dogs, hamburgers and all the fix ‘ins with family and friends. While I am enjoying the holiday I will also be remembering what Memorial Day is for. A day to remember and give thanks to all the brave men and women who give so selflessly of themselves to keep our country GREAT and FREE.

Every Friday morning I have the honor and pleasure to have coffee with a group of men that range in age from mid-70’s to late 80’s. They are all veterans and served in WWII and the Korean War. This morning was a special morning for them as we discussed their military days and they conveyed some of their memories. It was apparent that although many years have gone by since their active duty, the pride and sentiments of serving haven’t dulled a bit.

My MUCH older brother (actually only 6 years older) served in the Viet Nam War as did many of my friends. I can personally remember the stories and pictures that were reported about the War. Many of the reps that I have trained over the years either have served or are serving our country today in the Middle East and around the world.

As I fly in and out of the Atlanta Airport the USO is a constant reminder that we have soldiers spread out around the world everyday helping to keep our country safe from the enemy.

I hope that everyone who reads this post, no matter where you live (I have a number readers from outside the US) will take some time this weekend to give a brief thought about our men in uniform. Take a minute to give thanks in your own way to the awesome job they do to allow us to enjoy such a wonderful holiday.

Fly your flag and take pride in the fact that we are a nation that honors our service men and women actively serving, veterans, and those that have given their lives for our freedoms.

Enjoy your hot dogs, hamburgers and libations, and give thanks for the fact that we are free to enjoy them.

Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment