Wednesday, May 2, 2012

UNDER PROMISE AND OVER DELIVER IS A BAD THING?


I think it was my first day as a Sales Rep that my manager told me to Under Promise and Over Deliver. At the time it was a new concept and I was amazed at how smart my Manager was. Since that time I have said those same words to thousands of Sales Reps and I hope a few of them thought I was amazingly smart. (I kind of doubt it, but it sure feels good to think it).

Until recently I still believed in this and was 100% sure it was a great concept to teach, until I ordered my eyeglasses from an online website.

I had ordered a few pairs of glasses online before and I had a very good experience. The glasses I bought were high quality and at a ridiculously low price compared to optical shops. I surfed around a few sites until I found the frames I wanted and placed my order.

As with most online ordering I instantly received a confirmation e mail letting me know the order was placed correctly and that they will contact me when the order is complete and again with the tracking number when the order is shipped. About 4 days after I placed the order I received the first e mail. As promised it told me my order was complete and was sent to the shipping department. It said I would receive another e mail within 3 days with my tracking number.

So I waited for the e mail to come. (I like getting tracking numbers, I enjoy following the route my package travels, I know I need a life!) Anyway, on the third day I still hadn’t gotten the e mail with the tracking number. I made a note to call the company the next day to check on the order and see what the delay is. As my family and I sat down to dinner the doorbell rang. I went to the door and the UPS driver was standing there with a package for … you guessed it … ME!

I signed for the package and saw it was from the website I ordered my glasses from. I opened the package and sure enough there were my new eyeglasses. I tried them on and the fit and prescription was perfect. I was very happy with my purchase.

Every evening my normal routine is to come up to my office, check my e mails, and then write my post for this blog. As I sat at my desk that evening and checked e mails I saw I had received one from the company that my glasses came from. I opened the e mail and saw it was the tracking information for the package I had already received earlier that evening.

This started me thinking about the Under Promise and Over Deliver saying. By the actions of the company they had absolutely Under Promised. I wasn’t expecting the package until several days after I received the tracking number. They absolutely Over Delivered, I got my glasses before the tracking number which was several days sooner than I ever expected them. So if they did what I have been teaching for decades, why did I feel like the company didn’t know what they were doing?

This was a case where the expectations were so overwhelmingly exceeded that it makes the company look as if they don’t know what they are doing.

Now I had to rethink the saying, because Over Delivering too much had a bad effect on my thinking about the company could Over Delivering in EXCESS to your customers have the same effect? The answer is YES it can.

We all want to always do more than we promise, but we need to make sure that what we do and what we say are at least within believable distance of each other so our customers don’t think we are the ones who are screwed up.

We need our customers to have faith in us. We need our customers to know that we are in control and taking care of all the details. We need our customers to trust us and not think things are happening in spite of us rather than because of us.

Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment