Monday, May 7, 2012

THE HARDEST SALES DAY OF MY CAREER


I was unable to post last Thursday and Friday because I was preparing for the hardest sale I will ever have to make.

No it wasn’t a multi-million dollar sale to a fortune 100 company. No it wasn’t a sale that generated more profit than any other sale I have ever made. No it wasn’t a sale to a big star or a famous person. The facts are that I would be selling things at pennies on the dollar, and even at that I will need to negotiate the price.

The reason I couldn’t write posts for the last few days was because I was having a GARAGE SALE. I was going to be partaking in one of the basic American traditions of commerce, changing thousands of dollars of my treasures into $87.41 cash money!

It started early last month when my neighborhood sent out an announcement about our annual community garage sale. Each home that participates pays only $5.00 to our Home Owners Association and the association does all the advertising, puts out signs, and has a company come by after the sale to pick up anything that you want to get rid of that didn’t sell. WHAT A BARGIN!

Last week I started going through my basement, storage shed, closets, and cabinets gathering all my treasures. I actually found boxes in my basement that I moved into the house with and haven’t opened them since. (I have been in this house for 23 years now)

My wife and I put together a grand assortment of “STUFF” that we could part with and starting at 6:00AM Saturday morning I started putting it on tables to sell. Now the name “Garage Sale” is a misrepresentation of what really happens. For instance, nothing was in my garage, it was all out on my driveway and in my yard. Saturday was a beautiful day if you were a scorpion or a rattle snake. It was cloudless with a temperature of 89 degrees. Just the right conditions to put me in a great mood.

The official start of the sale was 8:00 AM but there are always those people who want the best selection so they get out early. As I was putting stuff out the first browser showed up at 6:45, cash in hand looking for deals.

I can’t start to tell you the thrill I had when she asked about a scanner I had placed on a table. I paid over $150.00 for this scanner about 18 months ago. I had all the packaging, paperwork, extended warranty, and software for it. It was like new. She asked me how much I was asking. I pushed out my chest and in a loud clear voice gave her my best garage sale price, I told her $15.00.

She walked back over to the scanner and asked me, “Does it work?” I replied, it works like new, you can see I didn’t use it much” To that she said, “I’ll give you $7.00 for it”. I could just shake my head in wonder. It was early, I hadn’t even had my first cup of coffee and already I was in heated negotiations.

I decided to use a line I have used in the past when offered a ridiculous price for a product, I said, “Nope, you won’t give me $7.00, you may offer me $7.00 but I won’t take it”. Expecting at least a chuckle for a great sales line, all I got was a stare and she said, “I don’t have a lot of time for games, do you want $7.00 or not?”

I knew it was going to be a long day. I told her no and countered with $12.50, she came back with $9.00 and I sold it for $10.00. Wow a lot of work to give something away at less than 10% of its value. I had this same type conversation at least 50 times during the day Saturday. I started adding 50% to every price so when people wanted to bargain with me I had plenty of room to negotiate from.

As 2:00 approached, the official end of the sale, another group of people showed up. These are the bottom feeders of garage sales. These people wait until the last minute and make absurdly low offers on what’s left. In the last 30 minutes I don’t think anyone offered more than 25 cents for anything. (I actually had a 19 inch flat screen monitor that someone offered me 25 cents for).

As I loaded the last of my treasures that didn’t sell into the back of my SUV to haul to Goodwill my wife came out of the house to tell me about how much money we made. I was impressed, we had sold almost everything we placed out for the sale and had made almost $100.00.

This was a sad day in my sales career. However, I always look for the positives in what happens. Last Saturday I managed to de-clutter my basement, garage, shed, and closets. I made a donation to Goodwill. I made almost $100.00.

Next weekend is Mother’s Day, I am going to use the windfall to take my wife out to dinner at the best mediocre restaurant I can find with a dinner for two for $100.00.

Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment