Monday, June 20, 2011

GOT APPS

We have all heard about them and I would guess the vast majority of us have seen them with a smaller group already using them, what are “THEM” I’m talking about? APPS! No not job applications but phone applications.
It seems every day I hear about another great app for my iPhone or someone tells me about their Droid and the fantastic apps they have. Seems like apps can do everything from start your coffee in the morning to play a lullaby to your children at night, but can they make sales for you?
NOPE, but they can help. The funny part is the help they provide has nothing to do with what the app does, it has to do with showing the customer the app and getting them involved with your TOY.
I was working with a rep today and he had just gotten his new thing a ma bob phone. He was so excited about it that he was talking about it to anyone that would listen. Some customers were like me and just chalked it up to a big boy toy and nothing more. However I need to admit, most customers were actually interested and listened to him talk about his phone and the apps he downloaded to it.
Now here is why I say they can help you make sales, one customer who started out by saying he was busy and didn’t need anything stopped in his tracks when he saw the phone and was riveted on it as the rep talked about it. I was watching as the two of them got into this deep discussion about this app and that app and how this phone was better than that one. After about 15 minutes the rep asked the customer what he needed and to my utter amazement the customer placed an order.
Will this work on every customer, no, but I saw about 75% of the people we talked to show interest, about half of them took time to listen to the rep and I will say 2 times today it was a direct cause of the customer placing an order.
This goes back to some of the very basics of sales. If you can grab the customers interest, and not only in your product but the customers interest in general, they will listen and give you time. If you are a good sales rep, you will turn that precious time into a sale.
I wonder if there is an app for…
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment