Friday, November 12, 2010

HAVE YOU HAD YOUR LAUGH TODAY?

I went to the doctors today for my yearly physical.
I know that this sounds like way too much information but I promise there is a point to this that relates to sales...keep reading!
The doctor I went to see was a new doctor. When she came into the examination room for the first time she introduced herself and then proceeded to do exactly what most doctors do, started to ask me a lot of questions. The probing (no pun intended, probing as in a step to a sale) was going along as you might expect, pretty sterile (once again no pun intended, oh get used to it I am going to use this theme the entire blog) and to be honest boring. She finally asked me a question that allowed me to give her an answer that put her in stitches. She asked me if I got a lot of heartburn. I first said no, and then she asked me if I knew what heartburn was and what it felt like. Here is where I was able to draw first blood and make her laugh. I answered, “I have eaten a lot corned beef sandwiches and hotdogs in my life and I knew what heartburn was and how it felt” I continued, “As a matter of fact, one morning I woke up and had to rush to the hospital. When I got there the nurse asked me what was wrong? I told her I must be dying; the burning in my chest is gone!” (Rim Shot)
Ok so now I can start to make my point and start to relate this to sales.
Once I got the doctor laughing, her entire attitude changed. Not just about me, but I could almost see all the worries of the day disappear off her face. We went from an exam to a conversation in about 5 seconds. I have no doubt that I was in good hands (never mind), but now I felt that she would go the extra mile and take more interest in me as a person not just as a patient.
When was the last time you made a customer laugh? You don’t need to be a great joke teller, or tell outrageous stories. All you need to do is talk with someone about everyday events and sooner or later something will be funny enough to make you both laugh. Laughter is a vital sign of having a good time. Customers that have a good time with you will also have a good sales experience with you.
Try this test right now. Start laughing and try and shake your head no. It is one of the most un-natural motions you can do. Your reflex is to nod yes while you laugh. A laughing customer wants to nod, a nod is a yes, a yes is a sale, a sale makes you smile, a smile is only a chuckle away from a laugh, a laughing sales rep makes the customer laugh, a laughing customer wants to nod, and so the cycle begins!
 If you are the type of person that finds it hard to smile and laugh, PRACTICE! YES I said PRACTICE! You can practice your smile and your laugh in a mirror. Do it 25 times a day for a week and you will find that you can smile and laugh and make it look natural. The amazing part about this self examination is as you start to cure your seriousness you will find yourself enjoying life more. People will start to see your lighter side. You will start to be the most sought after person at parties and become the center of attention. Who knows, you may be discovered and become the next Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy! Or better yet, you may be my next new doctor!
SMILE, LAUGH, LIVE!
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment