Thursday, November 18, 2010

REACH FOR THE STARS

I first heard this saying about 20 years ago. It was the theme of the national sales meeting for the company I bought most of my products from when I owned my distribution business.
At the time I was already into positive motivation, goal setting, and doing what most people won’t do to be able to do what most people can’t do. When I saw this phrase it was an inspiration to me. I imagined myself reaching up to the stars and trying to grab one. I saw myself stretching as far as I could and standing on my tip toes trying my best to get a little closer to the nearest star.
I understood what the saying was supposed to mean to people. I also understood that most of the people at the meeting had no idea of what it meant! You saw people looking at the banners and posters that were hung all around the Fox Theatre and wondering what they were all about. Some people were mocking the saying and said things like, “WOW now I am an astronaut”, or “I always pictured stars as being larger”. These people didn’t grasp the idea that if you reach for the stars you will be reaching higher than you ever did before. I always liked to say if you reach for the stars and fall short you still have a hand full of clouds.
Going further, faster, higher is what keeps people striving for more. Companies have reinvented themselves to be better able to perform at a level higher than they ever did before. People are continuously finding ways to elevate themselves to levels of performance never dreamed of before. I am not just talking about athletes; I am talking about professional goals by sales reps just like you and I.
Today we are facing the hardest economic market since the great depression, and yet company after company are telling stories of their reps exceeding their goals and hitting new highs. Why do you think some companies and some reps can achieve results like this in these times? LUCK? NO! The companies and reps that are overachieving are the ones who set good stretch goals, make their plans on how they are going to accomplish these goals, and work hard until the goals are met. These are the companies and reps that truly REACHED FOR THE STARS.
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment