Thursday, March 3, 2011

DÉJÀ VU ALL OVER AGAIN

It all happened so fast I hardly had to think about what I was doing. There I was standing in middle of the store, people all around me, the loud speaker cracked to life and it was then that I first heard it, “Clean-up on aisle 4”. I looked up at the sign at the end of the row of shelves I was standing next to and in a big BOLD print I clearly saw “AISLE 4”. That is when I realized I caused the mess!
I thought I had a good grip on the bottle when I picked it up, but as I turned to place it into my shopping cart (Buggy as we call it here in the south) my fingers started to lose grip and before I could recover, CRASH the largest bottle of Italian Salad Dressing hit the floor and smashed into a thousand pieces.
OH the embarrassment, the shame, the humiliation of causing a mess at the grocery store. Would I ever live this down?
This was a dream I had the other night. I woke up in a cold sweat because of it. It wasn’t until today that it sank in. Today I went to the grocery store and Italian Salad Dressing was on my list. I stood in front of the dressing looking at it trying to will it into my cart. When I finally got it into the cart I actually heard myself give a great big sigh of relief.
This kind of thinking is something I remember doing in the sales field. I would go through a sales call with a customer in my mind before I went into the business and I can remember it as if it were yesterday, every now and again, I would have the kind of self stressed moment like I had at the grocery store. I can also remember that not once, never, nada, no time at all, did the sales call ever go like the stress moment I made for myself. EXACTLY like the salad dressing got into my cart without falling today!
I need to believe that if I have done this, and I am still doing it with other aspects of my life, than some of you are also falling into the “I think I am going to fail trap”
I am not going to tell you that having dreams or those stress moments are going to stop because I have pointed them out to you. Actually they may even increase because now you know what they are. What I am going to tell you is that I would guess 99% of them will either not happen or not happen the way you think they are going to. We all have what is called Déjà vu it is when something happens or you look at something that you have never seen before but you can swear you have seen it but can’t remember when. This is going to be the way Stress Moments and dreams will sneak up on you.
BE STRONG, don’t let dreams and moments of stress keep you from doing what you do best, SELL!
Déjà vu isn’t anything that can hurt you, dreams can’t hurt you, the stress they can cause you can kill not just your sales, but YOU! Start looking at things a little differently. When you have these moments, no matter how they appear, forgetaboutit! (My favorite word from the Soprano’s) Just move on and keep striving to do your best. You are stronger than any dream, any stress moment and any Déjà vu you may encounter.
Lorin

No comments:

Post a Comment