Thursday, March 31, 2011

WHO TUBE

Today I was asked if I had any of my training sessions posted on You Tube. I didn’t know what to say, the truth is I don’t. I knew I didn’t but I guess in the back of my mind I also knew I should have.
After a few seconds I responded with no I don’t but I am planning to put some there very soon. As I said it I regretted it, HOW WEAK was that? I was embarrassed to offer such a lame answer.
If you think about it for a few seconds doesn’t it make perfect sense to have a clip or two posted where people can see what I do and my style? Many of you have been in my classes and you know how I work, but if you had never been in one of my classes you only have my written words to go by and nothing else.
I have made a promise to myself to have a sample posted by the middle of May. I think it will be a great asset to me.
Don’t stop reading, I know you are now thinking what does this have to do with sales training? Well it happens to have a great deal to do with it. You each have a service or product that you represent. You call on customers and make sales presentations all the time. I believe that for most of you if you get the time in front of the customer you will close the sale, YOU ARE THAT GOOD! The question is what are you going to do with all the potential customers you DON’T get in front of? HUMMMM any ideas?
OH wait!!! What if you had a You Tube video posted with the highlights of your presentation on it! What if a prospect could click on a link and see YOU talking to them about your service or product! WOW I like it!
This is the power that the internet and social media puts in your hands. It doesn’t take a lot of money, as a matter of fact you could do it for free if you have access to a video camera. It doesn’t take a professional studio, your den or living room would be a good place to present a service and depending on the type of product a room in your home or your front yard may be the ideal place for a demo!
What it takes is a little creativity and effort to make yourself a You Tube STAR! If you have several products or services make several videos, keep in mind it is FREE and all you invest is your time and mind power to create some interesting and compelling videos.
Don’t try and close in the video, as a matter of fact you should not give enough information to have the customer want to buy in most cases, but you should give enough information for the customer to want to hear more and make them call you to give a live demo or presentation.
I like being able to deliver my message in person, but I know that over the past few years I have used more and more webinars to get my message out to my audience. The limitations to my webinars are that I can only have a set amount of people watching at one time, I need to be there live to do the webinar, and the people watching need to be free at the same time I am doing the webinar to participate. A You Tube video is available 24/7/365 it can be viewed as often as someone wants to see it and I can be on a beach reading a book sipping an ice tea when people watch me. I LIKE THAT!
If there is one thing that I have always tried to teach it is to use all the tools available to you to succeed. The internet, social media and your creativity are a great partnership for your success!
Lorin

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lorin:

    I have been pleasantly surprised at how effective and engaging video training can be. Even without live interaction a person with the gift of teaching can deliver training that transfers learning.

    An example of great video training can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzuxa11BZoQ&feature=uploademail

    I have learned a lot about Excel from the Excelisfun YouTube channel. It looks like the author actually built the lessons for his students at junior college. Worth looking at for some ideas.

    I enjoy the buffet. Please keep the chow coming:)

    Gil

    ReplyDelete